Officers Interested in Joining SPD
Are you an experienced Officer looking for an opportunity to join an innovative organization in one of the most desirable cities in the nation? You’ve come to the right place. A career at the Sparks Police Department offers lateral recruits opportunities in the form of special assignments, continuing education, and promotional opportunities. We strive for excellence and professionalism in our service to our community. Learn more about how to join our team by giving us a call.
Relocating to a new city is a big decision. We help make your decision a little easier with a generous salary, benefit package, tuition reimbursement, bilingual pay, education pay, and retirement plan. In addition to career benefits, officers who relocate to Sparks with their families choose to stay here. Our community receives higher than average marks when it comes to housing, education, and cost of living. Did we mention we’re less than a 45-minute drive from Lake Tahoe and world-renown skiing? Learn more about what we have to offer our lateral recruits and how to apply.
Lateral Hiring Process
The lateral hiring process can take as little as 3 months from application to offer letter. Below is a brief outline of our lateral hiring process to get you started.
Understand the Minimum Qualifications:
- Possession of a Nevada P.O.S.T Category 1 certificate, an out-of-state P.O.S.T. Category 1 Certificate which has reciprocity from Nevada; OR Successfully Passed a Nevada P.O.S.T. Category I Academy in the last 18 months.
- Must be 21 years of age by your Civil Service testing date, a citizen of the USA and be free from police record.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain the equivalent to a valid Nevada Class C driver’s license at the time of the Civil Service testing and at time of hire.
- Formally Apply for a Police Officer POST Position (Required)
- Testing: Candidates who meet minimum qualifications upon applying will receive an email invitation to schedule their tests, Civil Service Written Examination and a Physical Abilities Examination. The testing is limited to the first one-hundred (100) qualified applicants to sign up for the testing period. The top sixty (60) candidates from each test period who pass these two exams will be invited to a third Civil Service test, the Oral Board Examination. Candidates may apply once in a 365 day period to test. Upcoming test dates:
- Summer 2021: June 12, 2021
- Fall 2021: August 14, 2021
Ready to get started? Connect with us today by completing the form below or giving us a call at 775-353-2299.